Financial Support and Benefits

Many individuals with OI, and their families incur additional costs connected with living with a disability.


Below you will find a list of some of the Benefits you may be entitled to if you live in the UK (click on the name of the benefit to get more information).

If you require financial assistance towards wheelchairs or equipment please see our Mobility and Equipment page.

If you live in the Republic of Ireland please see here.




Access to work
Access to Work can help you get or stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability.
The support you get will depend on your needs.

Attendence Allowance for people of state pension age.

Carers Allowance 
For more information on carers support see the NHS website. 
You can also find information on how to get a Care Needs Assessment here.

Cold Weather Payments
You may get this if you are on certain benefits.

Cost of Living Payments 
You may be able to get up to 5 payments to help with the cost of living if you’re getting certain benefits or tax credits. You do not need to apply. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits.

DLA under 16
You can apply for this if your child needs extra looking after or has walking difficulties.

DLA Scotland
Child Disability Payment will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and is to be rolled-out from autumn 2021 in Scotland.

DLA Northern Ireland 
This is a tax free benefit for people with disabilities who need help with mobility or care costs.

Disabled Student Allowance
You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability that affects your ability to study. The process will vary depending on if you live in EnglandNorthern IrelandScotland or Wales

Employment and Support Allowance
You may be able to apply for this is if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme
If you are referred for specialist NHS treatment or diagnostic tests by a doctor, dentist or another primary care health professional, you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs.

Household Support Fund
The Household Support Fund is to help low-income disabled households who are struggling financially in England.  This could include help with your energy, water, broadband and phone bills, as well as other essentials such as food, clothing and hygiene products.  The fund is available until 31 March 2024. You need to contact your local council.

Personal Independence Payment
see our factsheet on applying for PIP    DOWNLOAD

Universal Credit
You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.




The Motability Scheme provides a way to lease a new car, scooter or powered chair. Visit their website to check for eligibility. They may also help with the cost of driving lessons.

The Blue Badge Scheme provides a variety of parking benefits to holders when travelling as a driver or a passenger. The scheme is administered by your local council.

The Disabled Persons Railcard allows you to buy discounted rail tickets. You can get a 1/3 off adult rail fares for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain.

The Disabled Persons Bus Pass provides a variety of concessionary travel benefits.



Other Useful Links


  • Disability Rights UK have a guide to making a PIP claim, including how people will be assessed and information about the face to face consultation with a healthcare professional.
  • Turn2Us is a national charity that helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants, and support services. You can use this website to find appropriate sources of financial support, quickly and easily.
  • Scope is a disability charity had have lots of useful resources about benefits and how to apply for grants for home adaptations.
  • Contact is a charity supporting families with disabled children. They have useful resources about benefits and SEND services.
  • Citizens Advice can support you if you have any problems with receiving your benefits and want further advice.
  • Fightback4Justice is an organisation that can assist with all aspects of claiming benefits, including completing forms. A fee may apply.
  • Priority Service Registry (PRS) is a free UK wide service which provides extra advice and support, including when there’s an interruption to your electricity, gas or water supply.

Subscribe to our mailing list

Sign up now to be the first to know about special events

Subscription Form